Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thing 8: Facebook

I will admit I wasn't thrilled at the idea of establishing a presence on Facebook, partially out of a concern for privacy and because I didn't want strangers asking to befriend me. However, I created my Facebook profile and immediately two pictures and names popped up--my best friend from high school and my current next door neighbor. I was excited! I assume they had searched for me by name, because I had not put in much information yet. As I filled in my profile, more pictures popped up as possible friends, largely from my high school and a few from the library world; I had no idea who they were. This encouraged me to put in my work history to hopefully locate people I have worked with over the years. It will be kind of fun to see who pops up, and I am eager to search for a few people by name. I'm still finding the format somewhat confusing. How do I confirm someone as a friend, and how do I know that I have successfully asked to befriend someone? I think I had better look at the tutorial. I am working on the assignments in Thing 9: More Facebook, but this is proving to be time-consuming. More later on that. I am opting to limit what people can see until I accept them as a friend, and will only be selecting actual friends that I want to keep up with or re-establish contact with. I am also uncomfortable with showing my friends, though it might be a way to find mutual friends. It seems to violate their privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment