I think tagging would be a positive addition to our OPACS. All public service librarians are aware of the big gap between the way the public asks for information on a subject and the way a title is usually cataloged. Allowing them to "tag" an item that they found useful with their own term for it would supplement our added subjects through which we attempt to make titles more findable.
I will make an admission here that will make some catalogers gasp and cause reference librarians to chuckle and nod. Many subject headings are NOT the way most people (including librarians) would think to look for material. As an example, pick any subject within United States history. I am not the only reference librarian on our staff who routinely uses title keyword first to get one or more quick hits, and then hyperlinks to the subjects listed to locate more. Scrolling through a long list of subheadings in a lengthy list to be sure we don't miss anything takes a long time. Most of our public want something in their hands fast, or they will say "that's okay, I'll go to Barnes & Noble", and turn and walk out the door while we are still talking. We know they probably won't find it at the bookstore either without looking through book after book, but they don't want to wait.
I am not advocating the elimination of traditional cataloging. We need a systematic way to organize and look for material. Our cataloging staff here has always been open to suggestions for added subject headings as the need becomes apparent, and this is essential. Tagging would add another, patron led, layer to accessibility.
There would need to be some way to control and edit entries--spelling, inappropriate language, spam, incorrect usage (they have obviously used the wrong word).
Tagging is another way to make our libraries more accessible to our users.
Friday, August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment