Google Docs is one of the most useful sharing tools I have seen so far, though I really liked Flickr. It's formatting was so similar to Word that using it was a breeze. Yet it is simpler than the Microsoft Office programs, with fewer options, therefor less daunting for inexperienced users. I would probably get frustrated with the lack of some of those options in Word, as I use it a great deal. I never really use Powerpoint, so I was pleased with my success in creating slides, with background and/or color in Google Docs. The program has some formatting choices, such as a choice of backgrounds, or one can insert graphics, pictures, or backgrounds from elsewhere.
I had some tasks that lent themselves well to this assignment, so did actual work. My document was a draft revision of our Proctoring Policy, copied and pasted from Word. I shared it with other staff who need input. Those who are doing 23 Things were really excited by it! While Word does have document sharing and editing at the Advanced level, I only used it one time, because the staff I shared it with could not successfully use it. I like the way Google Docs gives me a list of each update and adds the updates as they occur. I also appreciated the ease of inserting comments and the way they show up in the document, with the person who made the comment noted. I will be able to save the final result in Word and copy it to our shared Office folder for policies.
I was also excited to see that I could save as a pdf file. We are asked by the public from time to time how to save to a pdf file, and because our public computers only have Adobe Reader, had to direct them to free online services such as Cutepdf. Now I will be showing them Google Docs.
I created a brief presentation to explain how to go through the Special Events permission process with the City, since I had just done that and wanted to make it easier for other staff in the future. My spreadsheet was from a template "to do" list, to keep up with the dozen things I need to do during the next 2-3 weeks. Finally, I created a form to update emergency contact information for our regular adult volunteers. I can e-mail the form, they will complete it online and submit it, and the information will automatically show up on a spreadsheet. How simple! Google Docs walks you right through the process of setting up an online form. I can see using this to establish online registration for an event.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment