Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mashups and Flickr

I tried Spelling on Flickr and had fun, but couldn't find a way to save or copy it, other than laboriously one letter (or picture) at a time. The html code would not copy to my blog. A suggestion to save the picture and then download it onto my blog post worked very well. I'm sure I will be able to use that technique in the future. I think that Creative Commons will come in very handy in the graphics work that other staff and I do related to publicity, newsletter, website, etc. I noticed that it applies to Google Images and some other sources of photos in addition to Flickr. Hoorah!

A concern that comes to mind whenever I think about using library photos in a photo stream on Flickr or posted in any other way is that of permissions. Our current City policy requires that anyone identifiable in the picture sign a release form, or their face be blurred out to be unrecognizable. Unless planned for ahead of time and forms distributed at the beginning, this becomes difficult to impossible. I think in the case of children, especially, it is a necessary safety precaution in today's world. There are also women running from abusive mates and other reasons to maintain privacy. Once I tried shooting a storytime from the back while the children were engrossed, and of course more than one little face turned around to see what I was up to. I was able to crop them out in one shot, and blur the faces in another.

I'll find time to try 1-2 mashups but am behind and need to move on to things that I feel will be of wider use in the library setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment