As my son warned me, Facebook is "sucking me in." I have contacted three good friends and have several more I want to find, if they are on Facebook. The groups I joined are the Texas Library Association, Gardening, and Go Green. I selected groups with a large number of members for legitimacy. I added links to my library and to the Tarrant Area Guild of Storytellers. It was difficult to locate the groups, they are imbedded so far into the Friends section. I have some minor issues with the layout and use of Facebook but I suspect I will become more comfortable with it as I use it. Some of the postings I see on my friends pages are interesting or amusing, some just a waste of everyone's time. Not having time to spend an hour doing social networking every day, I will probably just focus on my friends' postings to me and mine to them. I don't want to forget that I have no control over who may be seeing my comments! I don't know all the friends of my friends. So more mental editing is needed than in an e-mail to my friends. A plus, I can update all friends at once. (Well, I can do that on e-mail too.) I am not sure yet that I need Facebook when I have e-mail. These are just musings. I will probably get sucked in and spend way too much time doing this!
I can see a Library Facebook page as something very useful for special interest groups in the library such as the Teens or a book discussion group.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment